Retrenchment outings

The jellyfish is back! XD

Posting about the recent outings after my auspicious retrenchment, which I don't think I will dedicate anything of an emo nature to this post. =)

Contents:

1. Last day in PJ - Maths department lunch~
2. JM's visit and Sakae makan!
3. Jeff's retrenchment celebration & PH distribution of souvenirs day!

----------

Maths department lunch!

From a student until now, I don't think I have ever noticed the existence of the Living Room in PJ, which is actually just beside the L2 staff room. So on this auspicious 'last day of the term', the Maths department decided to hold an informal buffet lunch in the living room for the staff to enjoy, and thank the full time teachers for the better maths results as evident in the A lvl statistics. Since I'm still a RT until that day, therefore I joined the makan. =P

The living room is actually sort of a cosy environment with a spacious middle area, some sofas, dining tables and pictures of random achievements about the school. It looks more like an area that is more suitable for playing board games rather than a discussion room, so I can say it's rather comfortable, and definitely able to let a person relax by the cool colours and decorations. :)

The pantry looks rather big, and has mainly warm decorations and bright lights. The sensor dustbin is rather cool, as it opens up automatically when your rubbish enters through the sensor, and you don't have to worry about closing the dustbin lid as it closes itself after awhile. Warmly decorated. =P

Ah, the dishes! It's a 8-dish buffet + 1 starter + 1 dessert + 1 drink. I didn't think notice of the Catering company though.

Yang Chow fried rice: A bit tasteless...
Fried noodles: Rather delicious!
Wanton: Normal
Prawn dumplings: Crispy, taste normal though.
Grilled chicken chop in some honey sauce?: Delicious! Soft and tender! ^^
Brocolli with mushrooms: The gravy is not bad!

Didn't try the cereal prawn, beancurd roll and the drink. The starter turned out to be coleslaw with raisins, an extremely refreshing start! ^^ The dessert featured longan almond syrup drink, which tasted just about the same as outside ones. :)

Following the lunch is a cake cutting ceremony, not to celebrate my retrenchment, but to celebrate the birthdays of the teachers (can only be done termly). Aka Miss Lina and I love Vectors! It's quite funny to see them posing for the camera, and even funnier when they're being told to cut.

I Love Vectors: Eh can take faster or not ah??
(After a while, Miss Lina goes in front of the cake)
Miss Lina: Eh, you got cut the cake meh?
I Love Vectors: Huh no la, act to cut the cake only.
Miss Lina: Walao! Like that also can! Then am I supposed to pretend to cut the cake also?

Everybody got a piece of the fruit cake, which tasted just about the same as my fruit cake last year (celebrated by SD/SOH). While nom-noming the cake, I love Vectors advised on future mathematical studies, and the routes which are supposedly more useful. He loved his teaching job, that's awesome sia! ^^

"Your good grade in JC doesn't mean you can even pass in uni." o.o

Before the maths RT left for the staff room (Jamie and MengTing had lessons while I was waiting for JM), everybody got a BIG packet of food from the buffet. Imagine 8 dishes cramming inside a packet of styrofoam packet box. Explosive. I didn't eat the packet of food, and instead labelled the packet as '? food RT dept'. I think Gary asked about the existence of that mysterious packet, but aiya heck care. =P

"It's all the fried rice fault!" With that, the teacher filled the whole packet with just fried rice. Scary.

----------

JM's visit and Sakae makan!

After so many days, oh wait, years, JM finally returned to PJ to collect his testimonial and A lvl cert! So in conjunction with my leaving of PJ, I visited the school 1 last time with JM, and yeah... When can we even do / see all these again? The science labs still brought a chuckle though, as I remembered the ambassador during the PJ open house.

"Eh, no wonder I thought how come the school got basement." =P

JM bought a collar pin ($1.20) at the bookshop. While we're queuing up, we talked about not understanding any part of the lecture notes behind quite a lot of students who were actually queuing up to get their next chapter notes. They didn't look that comfortable after hearing our conversation, but too bad!

The last area we visited is the staff room block. So for the last time, I took out my consultation slot timetable, let JM (enjoying Orange Supreme) read the side notes / instructions which I wrote for the J1 students.

~

"Have a proper meal, as being hungry will affect your learning" - Agreed
"If you have lessons ending at 2pm, kindly do not book your consultation at 2pm" - Nobody followed
"I am a PJ alumni, so I will help you as much as I can. :D"

~

To think that I actually don't mind going back to PJ during the holidays to help out anybody who needs it, haix. With that last thought, we tore away the papers. For strange reasons, We are in the Crowd's 'On your own' suddenly sort of played in my head. Before I left the staff room, I said goodbye to the RT, the NIEs, Jamie and Gary. Quote JM: You yuan zai jian. Such a sad phrase, but legit. I overheard Gary asking Jamie about that phrase after I walked away.

It turned out that JM is not the last person in S20 to take his testimonial, as SY haven't took his. Thankfully his testimonial is still being kept, otherwise he would have to collect it from MOE. After I returned my access card, we proceeded to the fake mini golf course (now empty) to present the testimonial to JM.

Tan Jia Ming, 5 distinctions! =D The security guard commented that the way we present machiam like on stage. That's the point right? ^^

With that, farewell PJ.

--

Sakae sushi buffet: Using the state of the art technology to provide you with better service and sushi!

Perhaps the period of not using technology to place your orders is going to be out of fashion, but more places are really using a computer system for customers to place their orders easily (Just like Clementi Seoul Garden). It's random that JM suddenly wanted to have the high-tea sushi buffet, so I accompanied him in conjunction with celebrating my retrenchment. =D

Just at the start of the buffet, the iPad hanged / spoilt and thus we were informed that we would have to write our orders down and give it to the waitresses. o.o State of the art technology? Simply cui. Well, there's nothing much they could do as all the other tables were being occupied. Next step, I took out my writing materials and foolscap paper and started to write down the orders which me and JM desired. Yeah, the staff must be wondering, who the hell brings writing materials and foolscap paper to a dining venue as if they were prepared for this to happen? Answer: A retrenched relief teacher.

While waiting for the food to be served, we talked about random nonsense and munched on the conveyor belt sushis. For some strange reason, there's a hot water dispenser below the conveyor belt. Thinking that it's cold water, JM dispensed half a cup and to only realise that it's actually hot water. O.O Someone should seriously label that as hot water otherwise people may end up scalding their hands by keeping their hands clean (thinking about War).

More about this afternoon buffet, it's from 3pm to 6pm, and you can order an unlimited number of plates of sushi or fried stuff worth $2.29, 1 plate of $4.29 sushi and 1 plate of $6.29 sushi. I don't think there's fried stuff worth 4.29/6.29. That's per person, and for people below 21 years old, it's about $19 after adding the additional charges. :)

Some of the dishes we ordered~ ($2.29)

Normal sushi: Egg, Crabstick, Tuna mayo, Kani Salad (i think it's crabstick salad), unagi, cucumber, Salmon skin temaki (seaweed rice roll), sliced salmon. I tried raw salmon for the 1st time in my life, and... yeah not used to it, I won't be trying raw salmon again!

Fried stuff: Ebi Katsu (fried prawn), Pumpkin Koroke (fried pumpkin patty, a very delicious dish!), Takoyaki balls (not as nice as I thought), Fried Hotate (fried scallop with a bit of mayo topping), Salmon Karaage (According to JM, the thinner it is, the drier it is), etc.

Others: Fried tofu, steamed egg, Miso soup

---

Next up, the more expensive ones!

$4.29

California Mini: A higher quality sushi with some fish roe, cucumber, a bit of tuna, egg all wrapped up in a snug seaweed roll. More fillings, and although it says mini, the sushi is actually quick thick! So dont underestimate the mini! =D

Tempura Cheese Maki: A sushi roll wrapping some fried prawn, cucumber, egg and a hint of cheese in the sushi!  The taste of cheese is actually quite strong but not really evident until you have taken your 2nd bite (if you are not gulping out the whole thing), and then you will realise, oh it goes really damn well with the rest of your rice fillings. XD This is actually the dish which I enjoyed the most and has never really experienced such a special sushi before. =D

$6.29 (I forgot the proper names for both sushi)

Salmon skin California Roll: I didn't like this dish. The rice: filing ratio is too high and the salmon skin is rather dry. I only tried 1 piece of the dish.

Unagi sushi with an egg crepe outer layer: Another delicious one! It has cucumbers, and a wrapped unagi in the middle of the dish with a very thin layer of egg. It's nice, but just a pity they didn't add in the cheese factor, otherwise it would be even better! =D Overall, I still prefer the Tempura Cheese Maki.

Dessert (2 mochis each)

I actually thought it's mango ice-cream, the one I tried during the S16 Sakae outing. It turned out to be 4 assorted mochis, which tasted rather soft, and the skin isn't too thick, perfect for dessert. :) They served the mochis cold, unlike the one for guild outing.

Overall rating: The sushi is not bad, the customer service factor is great, but the services suck. =/

Not really too full, and sort of enjoyed the buffet even though the facilities can be better, esp. the state of the art i-pad. That's how a buffet should be ya? =D

----------

Jeff's retrenchment celebration & PH distribution of souvenirs day! (2 days)

15/3

ODNS go to Pizza Hut to celebrate retrenchment. Well, that's what we did! For some random reason, WL decided to create this random event and therefore we ended up at Lot 1 to eat a very random meal. Since I'm not hungry with all the sushi rumbling in my stomach, I ordered a cup of Ben and Jerry's Strawberry
 Cheesecake Ice-cream. Rating? 4/10

Pizza Hut played some very random songs that night, like Starships. So when the song came on, I was like 'Walao! Why this song sia'. The waitress looked at me with a 'did I do something wrong look', and yeah... =/ War ordered a very weird tasting dish which her termed as Popiah, while WL ordered a personal pizza? Yeah, nothing much, except laughing at my retrenchment and saying that the maths department used the money to hire me to buy the birthday cake for the maths department lunch. Hmm~

Drinking Gong Cha Grape Yoghurt (30%) at the rooftop garden at 9.30pm while playing Candy Crush is quite fun. A very sweet drink, definitely enough to counter hypoglycemia. Nothing much up there, except seeing War struggling with the higher levels.

[Something random by WL]

1st statement: Wah, like very long never see PH. (Period: 13/2 - 15/3)
2nd statement: Jeff's RT job ended so quickly. (Period 18/2 - 15/3)

Alamak about the same time wad! o.o

---------------------

16/3

Welcome back PH to SG! =D

The welcome back started off with eating KFC and PH distributing the souvenirs he bought from his Japan Trip. I didn't open my souvenir at that point of time, while War and WL unwrapped theirs and got food items. They looked rather tasty. o.o Jcube like a bit sian already, so we sort of sat at KFC for a rather long time, talking about S16, the random politics inside, about people who never go to school, and testing War's memory about the class, the teachers and random events. =D

Next up, is everybody's all-time-favourite activity at JCube, to buy tea. o.o Since there's no Gong Cha (very sadly) and WL is drinking ShareTea with PH, I decided to follow War and buy Koi. Well, buying Koi could never be more epic, as they gave me a wrong order (green tea vs milk tea), while they kept War's order at the serving counter until like 10 numbers later, War decided to check if his order is forgotten, only to realise that it's actually being made, but didn't call out his number. Aha lol~ =P

+2 points each to PH, War and WL

After WL's (?) constant nagging of buying a new earpiece, I bought another 1 at challenger, and this time, a WHITE one! (Blend in with clothes ^^) Before I made the purchase, we sort of tested out the sound quality of earpieces with varying prices. Well, I can say that as I'm not deep into quality, I can't really differentiate the quality, perhaps except for the bass, and maybe the drums? PH could tell the difference though!

*Next stop: Jurong Point*

Tested out more earpieces at a random shop (I forgot the name). The prices escalated really high, as up to about $600 for a earpiece! I remembered Hidayat saying something about a particular piece of sound has 3 factors to it, and a really good earpiece could split up the 3 factors and thus you would be listening to each type of factor clearly, unlike your usual cheap earpiece which combines 3 in 1. I have no idea whether is that true for the $600 earpiece, but 1 thing is for sure, I'm not going to buy it! Honestly, I seriously can't really tell the difference between listening to sound from the $600 earpiece and the $50 earpiece from Challenger. Perhaps music experts would know, but nah, not me. =/ PH sort of condemed the music quality from my phone except for the Owl City song. o.o

Songs tested:

1. Owl City - When Can I See You Again?
2. Sunday Girl - Love You More
3. All Time Low - For Baltimore

There's some sort of a DJ stand with a disc on it, DJ Monkey didn't go spin his mixes. =P

--

LJS for dinner, Hershey's chocolate pie. I think the Pineapple Cheese Pie is not for sale. =(

PH shared about his experiences and encounters in Japan, which were rather interesting. Anime should make up a rather large part of Japan, even larger than J-Pop, which to me is rather expected. Apparently Japan has Hentai shops in shopping centers, which is quite random. o.o Perhaps you could go in, buy a hentai series and go home to watch. Keep calm and calm again. =P (Hopefully WL understands why I laughed at the keep calm part) XD

While the rest were talking about games (FF or some other nonsense), I tested out my earpiece and listened to some of War's Beetle's songs. Recognised 2 out of 60 songs (not surprising). White earpiece FTW. =D Apparently PH likes K-Pop, but only in the Korean Drama OST category. Which means that club-Korean songs from Big Bang, B2ST, SNSD, 2NE1 are more or less out from his favourites. That's rather unique, as most people (E.g. Colin) would relate K-Pop to the famous bands and random sounding electronic music like Crayon, Fantastic Baby, etc. would be the kind of normal K-Pop examples people would have in their phones / MP3 list.

Sleeping child! PH and Jeff like this. Definitely not an 'Old noisy Clubbing Korean' song as said by WL. =P

Before we left home, PH insisted that I open up the souvenir as he saw me mishandling the souvenir by shaking it. It turns out that my souvenir is a super mini glass fish tank, with some mini plastic decorations and fish to make it look complete. Well, perhaps he's inspired by the idea of Insaniquarium, except for a different scale, or perhaps it's a sign for me to not eat too much (since the others got food), I like this decoration! Thanks PH! ^^ Should upload a picture of this once I have set up this deco in my room, just remember to change the water to prevent breeding of mosquitoes~

Oh, some anyhows to share... Enjoy!

-----------

1. While talking about the name of our group as given by S16: F4. (Contributed by War)

Jeff: F4 is really a random name siol. I wonder what should we call ourselves if we actually had 5 people.
War: Refresh.
Everybody: o.o
War: Oh, cos F5 mah, so refresh (button on computer to refresh your browser)
Everybody: lolwut!



2. While talking about dancing in WK's birthday party... (Contributed by PH)

PH: If WK got Pole Dancing at his birthday party, WL would be a very good person to join.
WL: O_O
PH: Because WL can be the pole!
WL: -.-!!!
Jeff: XD


3. Updating of song list is like patch (Contributed by WL)

Jeff: Eh, no new updates of songs ah?
WL: Not really ah, about 20+ only. o.o
Jeff: Wah... How come so long only 20+ sia.
WL: Why? You think update my song list like patch ah???
Jeff: Walao anyhow sia! XD

Sidenote: Actually that's about what I do. I will wait till like about 10 songs of different categories, then transfer everything inside unless it's really something that is extremely nice or there isn't any song on my mind.

-----------

With that, ends the outing. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review NTU SPMS - MAS

Course Review NTU SPMS - Electives

NTU MAS or NUS stats?