Relief teaching: The last day

"He was once there, and so I believe he can take the students to greater heights." -I love Functions

Mrs Tan: So Jefferson, you must bring as many students with you to your level? Okay?" 
Jeff: Yeah! 
Mrs Tan: ^^

Relief teaching: An awesome job, with awesome people, getting an awesome pay, working in an awesome environment...

And it's gone! X_X

=====================

Today marks the last day of me being a relief teacher in PJ, a super sudden abrupt event which I totally didn't expect. Either PJ is really out of funds (dont really believe), or there is actually nothing much for me to do, or its just my maths very cui. =/ But ah, oh well. Nevertheless, I can say that these 4 weeks could be the most meaningful weeks of my life. Educate the young, and aspire them to be good leaders and contribute to the society. Whatever the hell that means. 

Recently, there's a PJ alumni sharing session for J2, which Lester, Melvin and ??? shared their experiences when they're studying, tips to survive and about relationships. To be honest, there;'s nothing much really useful about the slides, nothing much learnt from their talks except their past, but what's good is that they gave a rather positive approach. Study hard, get help if you need, rest well, and do well in future. YOLO.

That was when I thought, how would it be like if I were to share my own study experience? Should I lie and take tips from other people instead? I don't think I can simply share this...

---

I only studied for physics and chem.

Maths: I didn't study, unless you count helping friends out as studying.
GP: I don't see the need to study for it. The skills are easy to learn, and general knowledge is based on how much you know and be involved in current affairs. So for those who keep on reading the content notes, you are sort of screwed.
Geog: I gave up, and only read Urban cos it's a common sense topic, aka never study.

---

If I shared this and say that I scored 4As, most students are going to scold / show middle fingers... Yea, I regret not studying well. Some said that this is good because when I didn't put in much effort, I can already score well, so by putting in more effort, I will score better. Er... Nah. I still strongly believe my A in Geog is because of luck, not because of hard work. Otherwise, those who studied geog everyday and didnt score a decent grade should be jumping off the tall buildings. =/

I think there's only 1 student who asked me how did I study (during consultation), did I frequently go for consultations, what time I sleep, did I have a study plan, etc. So I told the truth that I didnt have plans, didnt really seek help to clarify my doubts and I sleep early as about 9+pm weekday. After he gave me the O_O wth kind of look, I decided to share tips given by 09S16 classmates, teachers and other sources. The only real advice given by me is this: "During lectures, it is nearly impossible for you to understand everything or even anything, but big deal. If you don't understand, at least listen to the lectures, note down anything which you think would be useful when you revise your own notes, and when you finally understand what you are writing and able to link back to the long paragraph of words, your concept would be awesome." 

He seems satisfied by that answer, and thinking back again, yeah, no wonder I didn't understand any of my geog notes as I drew chem mechanisms and physics waves inside... Aha lol...

==========

Consultations can be said to be a thing which I never applied myself. I think there's twice which I accompanied War as he wanted to consult, and since I don't want to look like I had nothing to do, I constructed a few concept/doubt questions which were of different nature compared to other people's notes. 

E.g.

Chem: This electrophile attacks the molecule and thus this is called electrophilic addition. Why can't I say that the molecule attack the electrophile and thus it's nucleophilic addition??
Jasima: Anyhow! Cannot like this! 

Physics: Laser is supposed to be unidirectional. But there's an area of the light, so why is it still unidirectional?
Miss Cheng: Yeah, that's a limitation of the laser, but bo bian, it's actually not unidirectional, but just accept that it is for A lvls. 

If you count this type of questions as proper 'clarify doubt' questions, then yeah, 2. So since I have never believed that consultations are useful, the irony comes when I have to accept that the session is useful when students approach me. Teaching as a RT is really different from teaching War/MY. When guiding War and MY, if you are stuck with a question, you can simply say I don't know and quote WL: "Just do la!" As a RT, you have to really understand the topic, guide the students patiently, and no matter how silly the question is, answer the question and guide in a really patient manner as that may be the cause of their concept being very cui. Professionalism, as RJ calls it.

--

"So now as a relief teacher, you must be able to understand what are their doubts, what makes it so difficult for them to understand the concept. When they come to you, you must be able to let them see what you see, and in future, they will not have much difficulty in doing these type of questions." - I love Vectors

"Is (d2y/dx2)(dy3/dx3) = (d5y/dx5)? Why not?" - J1 student

Perhaps that is one of the reasons why I like to be a RT. As a RT, I don't mind entertaining these type of questions that would not only clear their seriously wrong doubt, and also to let them learn the true meaning behind the different terms and functions. I have seen tutors before who would scold / refuse to teach / ask them to find out on their own on some stupid questions which happened to be one of the important reasons the student needed help and thus sacrifice his/her free time to consult a teacher. You can call it enthu as a new RT, but I believe that if a student is willing to learn, why shouldn't I be willing to teach? 

But yeah, it's over. 

========== 

Classroom tutorials, the fun part comes when the teacher is not free to teach the class, and hey, here comes an RT. Let's guess whether this RT is good enough to give free period or not. ^^

As much as most students have thought, why can't relief teachers give free periods and provide in-class consultations instead? Those who are enthusiastic or are just waiting to clarify their doubts can have them answered on the spot, whereas those who needed time to catch up on their other subjects homework could do so. 

I still had that mindset when I covered 13S03 during the day of release of A lvl results. Perhaps I should just ask everybody to the specific tutorial questions, ask anything they don't know and open up for consultations. After much thought, nah. I should probably really go through the questions with them.

---

Jeff: Hey S03, have you all done your tutorials?
S03: yeah...
Jeff: Really ah? You all are supposed to submit your tutorial 1 next week.
S03: Huh!? Wah... haven't finish leh...
Jeff: So for all those who haven't finish, please finish up by this weekend, and understand the concepts. For those who have not done your tutorial, at least finish up these questions as I will be going through later.

You see? Atas RT right? So nice to students. =P So the next thing, I gave them some time to do while walking around and checking whether they have really done their tutorials and answering some of their personal doubts. 

Presenting answers, a typical section which students hate to the core but bo bian, have to listen to the teacher. Thankfully the class is super co-operative and would really write down their answers when they are being called up. 

Correct answers: Compliment
Correct answers but using long and spicy method: Compliment but suggest a shorter way
Wrong answers: As much as possible, compliment the correct parts, then point out the mistake as a common misconception (even when it is not). 

It's really awesome when the whole class becomes totally silent when you are explaining a concept or rectifying an error, it shows that they are paying full attention to you, or else they are paying respect by not interrupting halfway. One thing I regretted not doing: buying sweets / chocolates for the class and double to those who presented. That's actually something rewarding when it is a lazy Friday right? :)

Student: Mr Choi can I ask something?
Jeff: Yea sure!
Student: (Ask a long question)
Jeff: Ok, er wait ah I dismiss the class first. 
Jeff: S03!
(no response)
Jeff: Oi!
(whole class looks up)
Jeff: Er guys, you all can go and slowly change for your PE!
S03: ^^ Yeah! 
(Continues to solve the question)

I dedicated the last 10 mins to students who wanted to ask some questions. (less noise in the class) For those who did not need any help, they could either differentiate x^x as practice (S03: That one go through already!!!) or go and change for their PE (walao so good 8.50am release already, WL and War disgusted by this). With that, ends the awesome tutorial class with some thank-you and some speed running to change for PE even though there's more than enough time to change. =P

 After the whole lesson, then I realised, that is not a good idea if I had actually really given a free period. There's a timeline to follow, there's a fixed rate where students have to understand the concepts, so by giving free time, they would be lacking behind other classes. If I didn't go through the tutorial, probably the shy ones would never be able to know whether what they have done is right or wrong, easier ways to do the question and would lack the tips given by me (aiseh pro siol) to tackle exam questions. 

,After the lesson, cleaned up the classroom a bit, and thinking that S03 is an awesome class. :) 

Until I was being told that they had not even try x^x and the misconception is that they thought differentiating x^x is just like differentiating 3^x or x^3. Basket sia. Aiya nvm lol. 

=======================

WL: Your students must be so sad sia.
Jeff: No la lol! Why would anyone remember their RTs!

My 1st JC Maths RT: Mr Lee Poon Chan, who is still in PJ today. :)

Show gratitude to the ones who have taught you, not through gifts or items, but through a simple appreciation in your heart or a thank-you is enough. I remembered Mr Lee being very popular with the girls, all screaming and shouting when he pronounced the names wrongly, and asked a lot more maths questions to this friendly RT then to the regular teacher (eh who is it ah?). [WL: Mdm Theresa Wong]

----------



1st row: Hisham, Gary (Informal RT HOD), YJ, Jeff
2nd row ??, ??, ??, Jamie, Meng Ting, Isabella, ??
3rd row: Lester (YOLO), ??, Jonathan, Melvin (famous), Samuel, JJ

I seriously suck at remembering names. Last day already still don't know everybody's names. Aiya nvm, in fire station I also didn't know some of the firefighter names from the 117 or 119 batch. I should have smiled more. -.-

RT dept, a really anyhow post teenager group giving mostly remedial lessons to weaker students when the tutors are not free to do so. I seriously don't know how Art subjects can be thought, isn't it difficult to guide students to write a proper essay? Heck care, but yeah, all I can say is that I enjoyed my time in the RT dept for these 4 short weeks. :)

Ah, I forgot to mention the NIEs who took my table seat. :( Nvm, I also don't know what to say also. But apparently they are super not close with the RT dept. If you ask me, I actually don't regret changing my seat to the RT dept, as somehow it has more contact and not placed in an isolated corner of the room. :)

----------

Number of days since I have last shed a tear: 2

I forgot when was the last time I cried before Wednesday, was it the time when the old man died and the old lady is left to accept the fact that she is alone from thereafter.

RT is a really meaningful job, it's not the usual normal office admin work, packing, etc kind of temporary jobs which almost anybody can do. It's really kind of sad and disappointing that after putting in a decent amount of effort trying to help improve the studies of students, reading up and opening up to J1 if they need help (not even caring about the time), I'm leaving just because of a stupid reason.

I love functions: Well, it's not really a bad thing... o.o
Jeff: I don't think is a good thing! Maybe you could persuade them to just retain the teachers, but yea, there's nothing you could do anyway~

~~

I'm sorry PJ, but you have really disappointed me to an almost maximum level. If there is a lack of manpower funds, perhaps you all shouldn't have asked me to come help the students in the 1st place all the way until End June. I'm not any famous / contributing alumni, but yea, you have made me lost faith in the school. This is literally playing with a person. I came back because since I'm an alumni, why not help out the junior batches of my own school and perhaps help in contributing to good results of the maths department. If I knew that it's only a short while, must well I find an outside job and perhaps could work all the way until my uni starts?

Sadness + Disappointment + Nothing good -> Tears. -.- [No state symbols]

~~

I don't think I'll be coming back here for any reason. So yea, the work, the fellow RTs, the Cafe staff, students, I love Vectors, all will become 4 weeks worth of memories. :)

In case you are wondering who the hell is 'I Love Vectors', it's actually Mr Chua Poh Teck. =P Why Vectors? Cos he taught Vectors II during my time as a student. He taught P&C also, which I remembered his sentence: "This is quite a fun topic if you like it." Most people hate this topic and scored almost 0 for every such question. Even OCC doesn't like it.

I love Vectors, my teacher-in-charge for the whole duration as me being an RT under the READ scheme. A rather nice teacher, who advised me on many teaching tips and how to approach different students and problems, and always wear a formal attire regardless of the day of the week. Thank you for guiding me / taking care of me for these 4 weeks. =D

------

*I'm not going to teach a lecture group who doesn't understand what I'm saying!"
*I'm not going to stay to help a school who doesn't understand what they're managing!"

About the same, close enough. ^^

------

Other than that, yea, goodbye, or rather, farewell. =/

Comments

Where is Mr Chua Poh Teck now?

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review NTU SPMS - MAS

Course Review NTU SPMS - Electives

NTU MAS or NUS stats?