Outreach chat

The jellyfish is back~

Today, one of the DSO HR outreach person came to out intern's room for some chatting. A chat of reality... But it does set me thinking about my student life, all the way from sec school until now.

I remember last time in school when there were excursions, visits and trips (regardless whether they are in holiday or school time), I will always be quite excited to go. A break from school work, to visit places, a chance to walk around somewhere new, learn something which could never be found on books. Learning trips are always fun, you can look forward to something new at the start (and probably regret it later if it is really boring). :)

But here's the thing, a simple person like me would thought of it as something interesting, nothing else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week Yuan Hao is not free to check on my work as he is one of the in-charge for this "World of Science" week, a mini lesson/event that is supposed to attract "smart kids" into the engineering field. If there's such a thing offered to me in BP, I will definitely go~ Learn more maths that can be used in real life, first time hands on with programming, how cool is that~

At least that's what I thought.

But no, not everybody will think of it like that. The outreach personnel were like discussing the students who came for the events and past years ones, the number of events they attended, and how each and every one of those people attended the events so as to optimize the chance of getting a scholarship. The ways you hear them talk about it, how different combinations get you the most money with the least bond, the projects done just to get recognition, the behavior to act until the objective is achieved. Those actions can only be described in one word:

Disgusting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many people learn stuff (including me) so as to get a good cert so that we can have a slightly more decent job to cope with the higher cost of living. But within everyone, there is still a part where we learn out of curiosity (that's for me at least). Never had I imagined that students at such young ages (13-18), learn everything for a purpose. Not the purpose of gaining wisdom, but just to gain an advantage for getting to another place.

You may call this ambitious. I call this kind of learning pathetic. Very pathetic.

Maybe that's part of a reason why I quite dislike scholars, and never really put effort (and fakeness) to apply for one.


I think I was asked a few times why I did not apply for scholarships. Here are these:

1. I am not the kind who will want to suck up to people just to get some recognition. It sure is an easier way, but I don't think I can put up a fake side for that long.
2. I rather put stuff for what I have done instead of flaunting tons of awards. Your skills matter right?
3. NTU / Woodlands CDC(??) also gave some bursary awards too. I don't come from a high-income family. It isn't too much money like scholarships, but is definitely good enough.

--------------------------------------

Since we are on the topics of truths, I just asked the outreach IC the criteria many companies set for deciding whether a candidate is suitable or otherwise.

Resume (Top 3)
1. The school.
2. Education title [Second upper vs second lower] (NOT the GPA)
3. Your area of study

Definitely not in the criteria: CCA, hall activities... (I must admit I'm a little surprised)


Interview (Top 3)
1. Skills in answering questions.
2. Attitude and how you present yourself.
3. Integrity

So for those who think you can make up your very cui study grade by participating in more activities, GG. There are a lot of posts and discussions I seen and heard that companies do look at such activities and companies who only look at grades are "short-sighted". From today's hard truth chat, I can confirm that getting a decent grade (smth like 2nd lower and better) is a NECESSARY condition. If you can't even handle studies well and you choose to do extra shit activities, it shows that you cannot even get your basic priorities right, let alone do decent work properly. The CCAs are there to differentiate the extraordinary from the amazing people, not to save the jialat ones from the hopeless.

"It's my job to make great students greater, not to make mediocre students less mediocre". [Make a guess where this quote is from]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's hard truths for everyone at the undergrad level who are not talented, and simply ordinary like me. Realism can sometimes be really harsh. =/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review NTU SPMS - MAS

Course Review NTU SPMS - Electives

NTU MAS or NUS stats?