Wash the base away, put back the glasses

The jellyfish is back!

"You will be working in Idemitsu Lube Singapore, as an admin assistant in a lab. Your contract duration will be from 17 April 2013 to 28 June 2013. We hope that you will have an enjoyable working experience."

With the shadows of the previous 2 jobs having not enough money and projects, here I go entering into the 4th job after ORD, thinking how long would the job really last. =/  Going to post about a few memorable days in ILS, some random moments / events, and of course a lovin' farewell message. XD

----------

The First Day (17th Apr)

It's raining heavily on that day. Traffic jams are all over JE, Clementi and West Coast. My father fetched me to ILS on the 1st day, and thus I wasn't late. XD Reached at around 8am, and I wondered how come nobody had reached the company. Entertained myself by reading all about the chemical safety labels, the hazardous effects and wondered how the heck can school labs be compared to a real oil company~

0820hrs, the office staff chiong into the office, and smiling at me. o.o So I waited for the HR assistant admin manager, Lena, to bring me to the lab. Shortly enough, she brought me down and told me to work hard while working. Understood. :)

~

What Jeff expected the lab to be like: A big white lab, with steep security measures and access pass, big dangerous machines that deal with chemicals.

What the lab really is: A not so big lab, with testing machines that are not that gigantic.

What Jeff expects the lab people to wear: Big white coats
How the people really wore: Big white coats

Wah a proper lab!

~

The next 1 hour or so was dedicated to reading notes in the lab, and introduction of what I'll be doing after working in ILS with the manager, CSM (Miss Chin). Heng don't need to wear office attire, as I'm just an admin. ^^  I remembered someone asking me before why did I wear a jacket during a hot day, well, I guess it will be a bit more proper if I wore long sleeve, thus I chose to wear a jacket for the rest of my time in the lab office. :) [Keying in of data and raising a Purchase Order]

The 1st few things Diane (The Chemist taught) were quite easy, a bit of practice and you got it. When there isn't anything to do, it's just sitting down and reading notes /  chionging tuition notes and exercises. Sort of good life. :D That was also the time when I properly learnt about the term Scientist. Since Chemistry is a science, therefore a chemist is a scientist. From young, I have always thought that a scientist is a person who constantly devotes his/her working time to researching things, doing dangerous experiments... Seems like I would have to change my viewpoint!

Lunch. It's the 1st time that I have seen a situation that the nearest dining place is too far from the working place, and thus catering service is provided. The lunch menu of BKS looks kinda cool! It has a column of chicken dishes, a column of pork dishes, fish, random daily item, local delights and their daily specials, and of course with finishers such as fruits and healthy drinks. The prices for the dishes are not exactly expensive, definitely affordable for normal workers. ^^

My 1st meal: $4.70: rice with veg, 1 chicken and 1 pork dish, along with the daily item, and a healthy drink. During lunch, everybody reminded me to take my drink, which I wondered how come everybody knew (including the office upstairs) what I was drinking. Oh, so I was the only one who ordered. Ate my lunch with the 2 girls (Karen and Kai Yin). As usual, I'm not good with recognising people.

I remembered that KY is a lab tech, but have no idea what is her name.
I remembered Karen's name, but I have no idea that she is a lab tech! Heng I didn't ask her where she sit in the office. =P

I mixed up Jesmond and Tuck Weng too. They don't look similar, but I have no idea how the hell did I find them to be the same person. Nothing really interesting happened after lunch, so I read more of the notes, and processed a bit of COAs. COAs are fun! You got the awesome feelin' that you are to check whether a chemical would pass or fail by checking their specifications, like a scientist. =P

Jesmond drawn a very cute map of the shuttle bus pickup point near JTC, while KY described the bus figure to be something like devil wings? Another thing I liked about the working hours is the punctuality. When they meant 1730 hrs packup and 1745 hrs go home, it's punctual! Unlike Civil Defence and working at Zen, there's no such thing as dragging of time and settling of other nonsense issues. If CD adopt this approach of going home punctually, I think more than half the plans / activities would be cancelled. =P

The 1st day ended very quickly, and goes the same way with the other days.

----------

The run alone. (2nd May)

3 phrases to describe the run alone period.

- You are on your own o.o
- Tuck Weng is gonna get busy =/
- Freedom has arrived! XD

That is when I started to write an activity log of my own on Diane's com, counted as a brief summary / memory of my run alone days in ILS. One would say that I would be very bored once Diane had left, as there would be nobody giving me any tasks unless TW had the time to give me things to do.

What actually happened: There's really nothing much to do as the more difficult tasks were handled by TW, and only the simple ones were given to me. (COA, PO, etc) However, the day was very busy for me as I was calculating the 'Dice Game' probabilities, which made Karen very curious about what the heck I was doing. =D

'Holiday period' - 13th May to supposedly 17th May

Every department of anywhere would declare that as a holiday period if the HOD is not around. CSM went to Australia for an audit, and thus the whole lab is left to the care of TW, aka he's the biggest! It doesn't make much of a difference to me, but somehow the whole lab felt happier as the environment was less stressed. =D 

Oh, you must be wondering why I said supposedly 17th May. When CSM came back from the trip, she wasn't feeling well and took MC on 20th & 21st May, thus the holiday period is being extended again, much to the delight of some people. o.o Overall everything is good, except for the signing of PO, where I have to find the GM to sign. -.- Finding the GM is just like asking a REC to find a COL for something. =/ Another disadvantage would be for TW, he has to make urgent decisions and  be prepared to answer when she comes back. Thankfully nothing much screwed up as TW handled them near perfectly. ^^ Good job!

----------

The Hello Kitty starting craze! (31st May)

Karen / KY: The Hello Kitty is so cute!! Jeff wanna see??? :D
Jeff: o.o cute meh...

(In the L2 office)

Karen / KY: OMGGGG SO CUTEEEE....!!!
Tanty: Cute right? =D
Karen: Jeff you think is it cute??
Jeff: Er... can I say no? (Prepared to be whacked by brooms and files)

Alamak seriously ah, a mouthless cat, how cute can that be! I don't think a lot of guys (20+ de) would like / buy this cat right?

CSM: Jeff, when you have a gf in future, you will literally do anything for her, even if it means queuing for hours to get a soft toy. Limited edition you know?

With that auspicious starting, I sort of knew what was coming, Mcdelivery WITH the Hello Kitties. In other words, the kitties must come, the food doesn't matter. ^^ To my surprise, advance orders are not accepted all the way till 2nd June, thus I ordered the lunch for 3rd June.

Food: TW, Jesmond, Darren, Karen, KY, Jeff
Hello Kitties: TW, Karen, KY, Jeff

It's understood that Karen and KY would buy the kitties. TW bought 1 as he wanted to give it to his relatives or something, how heartwarming is that! ^^ Why did I buy one even though I'm super not interested in this stupid kitty? Answer: In case got some blur person wanted a hello kitty and can't buy as it's out of stock.

Yup, that sort of situation did happen. Tanty called in the afternoon to ask me if I could extend the order, as Richard and Tee (Accounts people) wanted the kitties and intended to order 6 sets for 2 people (wtf). Seriously!? You intend to eat / throw away 4 food sets just for the cats?? Wow, the poorer people must be cursing and swearing sia! Whatever, they must have done their calculations.

Oh, the unexpected surprises: Mac is no longer accepting Hello Kitty orders! I can still remember the woman telling me, you want the food, can, but if you want the kitties, then sorry too bad. I was more than happy to end the call, it's troublesome to carry so much food. -.- So there goes the Accounts share!

~~

Monday, the arrival of the kitties.

I can remember KY's delighted expression when the china delivery guy told her that the kitties were present! Yup, the receipt states $66+, kitties present, perfect! TW seemed happy also. :) Back to my point about the blur guy wanting a hello kitty. It's being sold to Richard, no escalated price. I am very nice right! XP

"Huh... The Hello Kitty has not even slept with you, then it left just like that..." Aiya, who cares about that. =P Oh, did I mention that was the 1st time I saw TW eating lunch in the pantry? He's always busy, and somehow I felt that the lunch crowd is much more complete with him around. :D 

----------

The new staff countdown (25/6 - 3/7)

25th June, CSM said that the HR disapproves of me staying on, and ah oh well. o.o

Jeff: KY! I not extending, I only have 3 more days in the lab!
(KY smiles very widely)
Jeff: Wah you can don't so happy or not ah!

~~~

The next day, I was informed that HR couldn't find anybody, so I would extend for a week, lolwut.

Jeff: I extend for another week leh!
KY: T.T
Jeff: Don't so sad la... Walao I leave you happy, then now I extend you like so sad sia.
KY: No la, if you extend means this week cannot eat already...
Jesmond: Wah, because of food she betray you?
Jeff: T.T

----------

The new girl / Last Days (4th July)

Aim number 1: Handover as much as possible to the new girl
Aim number 2: Don't scare the new girl away!

Pricillia is the name, I have no idea who makan up the S in her name. 2 days of training is seriously ridiculously short, the personnel who thought that 2 days is enough should be given a rude awakening! Anyway, I think that the notes are actually kinda detailed and useful, if only they are being read~ Hopefully that serves as a great guide after I have left. XD

Epic moment: The printing of a file label

Jeff: Just print this page only.
P: Ok. (Presses quick print)

Jeff: !!! Oi wad u doing! Stop the printing!
P: I dunno how!
Jeff: -_-!!! Walao you damn epic leh!
P: You never say got other pages...

One Does Not Simply thought there's only a page per document and thus print all pages.

~~

Nothing really special about the last day, except that I bought mini Magnum Ice-creams, rushed through the syllabus with P and heard of a fight that day. o.o A big guy in the office wished me all the best for my uni course, and I still didn't know who is that even though it's my last day. Is he the GM for the sales side~? BKS must have loved me (I loyal customer), there's curry chicken as the daily special for my last day!

5.30pm, we took a few photos, and I gave out the mini gifts to the lab personnel and Darren. ^^


(From left to right)

Kai Yin (smartest girl), Pricillia (the new girl), Jesmond (Senior Lab Tech), Karen (Lab Tech), CSM (Lab manager), Me. XD

Absent: Tuck Weng (Senior Lab Tech) <- He shy luh >.<

I had another seperate shot with the ILS logo and the drum itself, but shall not post it here. Should have worn a white shirt, the blue shirt doesn't match the jacket. =/

======================================

Out of the lab: External outings!

~~~

1. Diane's visit (8/6)

Diane had given birth to a baby boy (Javier), and ILS had raised some money to give an auspicious wealthy start to him. ^^ (I think it's somewhere below $1200). Thus, the visit to Diane's house is arranged, featuring Jesmond, Karen, KY and of course myself. :)

I remembered Nat mei saying before: "Seriously? A guy letting a girl wait? That is not very good right?" Just because of that sentence, I wanted to ask the KY (and maybe even Karen) to reach 30 mins earlier than usual but didn't execute that thought. (Yeah I know, I am very nice) Sort of regretted that as Karen arrived 10 mins later and KY was lost! That must be one of the epic moments of KY life. One Does Not Simply take the LRT train and have no idea where is Bukit Panjang station. XD

1pm. We proceeded to BPP Ichiban Sushi (?) for lunch. I got myself a Chawanmushi and a Tempura Ice-cream as I wasn't exactly hungry. The steamed egg tasted rather normal, just like everywhere else, except that it has a bit more ingredients than usual. The tempura Ice-cream... Cold vanilla ice-cream on the inside, a huge quantity of hot fried flour surrounding the freezing core. Not as nice as I thought, I think the tempura flour would go better with sweet potato or a hot-snack. =/ The rest bought full meals, sweet curry, tomato dishes, etc. We chatted about random stuff, how cute can Diane's baby be, Karen's past work, and disturbing KY. =P

(KY's food arrived first)
Jeff: Wa that looks nice, eat your food first. :D
KY: Don't want la, wait for you all (she's being nice).
Jeff: Walao eat first la, if not at the end of the day everybody wait for you!
KY: T.T
Jesmond / Karen: XD

Even though the main highlight is to visit Diane and look at her baby, no one really seemed to be that enthusiastic about it. After buying a box of ba kwa, we proceeded up to Diane's house (11th storey). The wall design and furnishings are rather nice. White colour walls, glass cabinets and a dining table in 1 half of the living room, while the other half is occupied by the standard coffee table, sofa and TV set. No warm colours, perfect therapy for soothing your eyes, and of course for Javier. :D Since the house is considered sorta high above the ground, we got the chance to admire the scenery. You can see the nearby CC, BPP, LRT tracks and the bustling crossroad. Rather cooling too! =D

Javier's cot is in the middle of the living room, with side cushions, random decos, and the recent Mac Hello Kitty soft toys! Aw look at Javier sleeping so soundly in the cot, dreaming about butterflies and bees, and planning on when to cry for more milk. He has very rosy cheeks, in fact way too rosy for a baby! Let's just hope that the redness is not a medical condition. o.o

After the sightseeing around the living room, we sat around the sofa watching TV / playing candy crush, while Diane asked us on how the lab is, the work, usual expected questions from a person who is absent from work. Javier's initial weight is about 4kg+? That's heavier than me! Dude, keep your weight in the moderate range when you grow up~!

We left after 45 mins. Karen had to go for her NDP training, KY needed to take a photo but dunno where to go, I rushed to meet WL and was auspiciously late by 30 mins. ~.~ That's about it for Diane's trip!

----------

HK cafe mini makan! @ Xinwang


Credits to Karen for taking the picture and editing it into such an appetizing artpiece! ^^

I had the french toast with floss and tomato pasta with chicken chop. The french toast serving is huge! Even though I would prefer they put sweet honey / maple syrup instead of spamming mayo. The tomato pasta tasted kind of delicious (nicer than my own). The chicken chop is kinda disappointing, tasted like cardboard. o.o We shared the mango pomelo dessert that is ordered by Darren. The dessert is kinda refreshing, definitely something you want to taste in the hot summer! One thing about the mango, HK Sheng Kee could make that better. Same view by Darren, not sure if his sister could cook the mango better though! :)

A normal dinner, followed by a short walk around JEM before we went home. I was feelin' tired that night.

----------

Farewell Dinner @ Paradise Dynasty

Independence Day, the 1st day P came to ILS, the day when Jesmond signed up for some marathon but still didn't get any free gifts, the day of my farewell dinner.

Ironically, that isn't my last day! :D We decided to have dinner on that day as Darren couldn't make it the next day and other people had other reasons~ KY had been craving for the xiao long bao and the egg white thingy for the past few weeks, so yup, she got her wish! :D

~

Darren and Jesmond reached Lot 1's Paradise Dynasty at about 6, so technically we were kinda late when the 3 of us reached at about 7pm. As usual, not too many people around for a weekday. Atas greetings from a lot of staff, including the non-Chinese ones. :)

A pity we didn't take pictures of the food, the overall dining table looked awesome when every item is being served! Noodles, fried rice, dishes including meat and vegetables, XLB, etc! :D

~~~

The food! ^^

XLB original: Nice as usual! :D I think I ordered this everytime I patronise Paradise Dynasty.
XLB Cheese: The cheese flavour is not as strong as I have thought, even though it's easy to differentiate compared to the original one.

Side note: 4 x 2 assorted XLB is $13.90, whereas 10 same-flavour XLB is $10.80.

XLB Crab roe? : Ok leh, like no difference with the original.
Drunken chicken: Didn't try, cos I ate before. Darren said that it has no difference between this chicken with wine and white chicken from outside. If he had tried BKS chicken rice that day, he wouldn't have said that. :)

Stir-fried lettuce: Nobody ate much of this, so I took a bite or two and hey! The lettuce is crispy and juicy! The sauce that went along with it is not too salty, perfect dish for a healthy bite! ^^ I should order this if I visit again.

Gong bao chicken with nuts: The chicken is not too spicy as it sounds, but doesn't taste really special compared to hawker standards. I have no idea how the nuts complements with the chicken, they seemed to be mutually exclusive.

Super thick pork (san chen rou): That looks VERY scary, but everybody liked it! I can say that the sauce is rather nice though, and if you can afford a super guilty pleasure, this dish is perfect!

(Featured star) Egg white & scallop dish: Just like XLB, best served when hot / warm. Most of the egg white texture is naturally smooth, but some bits of it are a bit more solid than it should be. Take a big scoop of egg white and sip everything in the mouth, ah... heavenly! :) Normal egg whites that are cooked at home would not have any taste on their own, unless u add a dash of soya sauce / pepper, but this dish egg white tasted good on its own! If it isn't that expensive, I would have bought a plate for myself. :D Unlike other dishes, this dish is somewhat specially served / distributed by the friendly waitresses. The kitchen staff had a tryout on the new formula for this egg white dish that day, so we were guaranteed that it would be delicious. Cool! Oh, scallop? I am not sure whether is there any inside, the egg white is awesome enough!

Egg fried rice vs Yang Chow fried rice: Other than the price difference of $4, the diff is that YC has char siew and prawns inside. Jesmond said that the skill of a chef must be tested with fried rice, I'm not sure how true is that, but it's definitely true that the skill of a Roti prata master should be judged by the plain prata. Ya I know, random.

Our table waitress must be a super friendly person. She explained a lot about the food and Chinese Tea, telling us what's good and special, and also told us about the benefits of joining as a Paradise Dynasty member. Karen signed up for it, and we had an instant rebate for the meal, excluding the stacking of 40% XLB discount. Good job! She's a Malaysian, and Jesmond guessed that correctly. Someone should give her a prize for her excellent service!

Nearing the end of dinner, we had a tea-toast. Not toast as in bread, but as in 'jing' (repsect). Karen, Jesmond and Darren definitely said something awesome, KY said gong xi fa cai. -.- I wished that she would find a good guy, which attracted a short silence thereafter. See la, language not good, otherwise I could have thought of better chinese sentences to say to every one of them. =/

The bill amounted to about $110. Jesmond paid for everything. It's affinity that brought everyone here to have dinner together. Wow thanks Jesmond! ^^

===============================

Epic moments and sayings in the lab. =P A record of funny things that actually happened, and some very good sayings. :D

Jeff: Tuck Weng, later CSM never come, the girls seemed very happy about it. :D
TW: Aiyo! How can! XD

KY: Huh 4/1 not = 0 meh?
Jeff: Huh no ah... $4 to give 1 person, 1 person would get $4, he won't get 0...
KY: Really ah! Wa so difficult, must test people. Karen! 4 / 1 is how much?
Karen: 4?
KY: Wah so smart!!!
Karen / Jeff: o.o

Jeff: Erm... here's tomorrow's menu.
CSM: Wah!!! Got my favourite Ikan Bilis! Must order! :D
Jeff: Sia la more enthu than me.

Jeff: KY you tomorrow half day right?
KY: Ya.
Jeff: So you want 'Wo bao' tomorrow? :D (newspaper)
KY: Ok ah! =D
Jeff: Settled.
Tuck Weng: Wah Jeff... You so on ah? o.o
Jeff: ???
Tuck Weng: KY tomorrow half day then you want to hug her?
Jeff: Huh!
Tuck Weng: You asked her 'you want wo bao?' (hug)
Jeff: HAHAHA LOL!!! XD

Jeff: Just print this page only.
P: Ok. (Presses quick print)
Jeff: !!! Oi wad u doing! Stop the printing!
P: I dunno how!
Jeff: -_-!!! Walao you damn epic leh!
P: You never say got other pages...

Sha Ji Jing Hou (kill the chicken and offer to the monkey) doesn't exist.

Jesmond: You realised KY is super sensitive to things she want to hear?
Jeff: Huh really ah?
Jesmond: Whenever you shout 'cong ming', she responds to it.
Jeff: 'Cong ming ren'!
(KY turns back, even though the IR room door is closed)
Jesmond / Jeff: ^^

Jesmond: Next time when you work, you will most probably be in the management level. Remember to treat your subordinates with care and fairness.

Jeff wrote 'less rice' for 5 out of 7 times for Karen. Karen thought that I had only written down twice. Heng the twice is not the forgotten to write times. =P

Karen: "Time flies & you are embarking to your next stage of life.. It's really been great knowing you!! Thanks for all the laughter you had brought to us!! :) Continue to strive for success in whatever you do & continue to bring laughter to those around you!! Keep-in-touch!! Miss us lots okiess! Hahaha! :P"

Jesmond: For your personal pic, you can caption: "ben ren ceng zai ci jian zhi." (I have done part time work here)

===============================

Random pictures! Pictures taken about lunch, gifts, and other random items. XD


BKS 'western' lunches, daily specials for $3. Very delicious! 


~~~~~


The box of chocolates CSM bought from Australia, I must have ate 90% of the content.

~~~~~


Darren's red bean pastry that must have stayed in the lab office for 3 weeks.

~~~~~


First ever Canadian pizza lunch with Darren, Karen and KY. 

~~~~~




Cakes, ang ku kuehs and red eggs from Diane! 

~~~~~


Farewell gifts! The caramel corn snack is from KY, the starbucks card is from Karen (I shall try to drink Starbucks more often) and the huge Merci Chocolate from Tuck Weng! :D Thanks people! Jesmond treated to a big meal at Paradise Dynasty, and that is also an awesome gift. :)

===============================

~ Jeff's farewell message~ (Typed from ILS)

It’s been fun enough to be in the lab, and undeniably the best temp job since the age of 16. Usually, my impression of a department would be that some workers would be backstabbing others to get to higher ranks, in this QC department, I don’t really think that actually happened. You have people who are really working together (the lab techs, Jesmond), and people who would take care of others and some problems without scolding / complaining (Tuck Weng).

I would say that I am very lucky to be under the care of Tuck Weng. He is a super awesome supervisor, who would give a reasonable workload and does not make life difficult for anybody, including a rankless temp like me. If what others said is true (the part which Tuck Weng would try to communicate with people / become happier because of me), I would consider that as an achievement and yep, happy about it. J A regret which I think I could have done is to actually do a bit more admin job, and perhaps check my work before submitting / entrusting into Tuck Weng’s care. He was kinda stressed up on one of the days when all 3 test companies had errors on the test reports, and he had to email every single company to correct the errors which were mostly caused by me. Sorry Tuck Weng!

Jesmond, the senior Lab Tech who is mostly working in the lab doing experiments, has taught me more about being a better person in life, and other interesting tidbits / fun facts. ^^ I admire his personality and character. Shi-Fu! :D Karen is a really good girl, warm, friendly, and has a limit to disturbing me (for me the sky is the limit wahaha). Stay happy always! Kai Yin, the cong ming ren, greatly disturbed by me, but nevertheless a good girl. Hope you could find a really good guy, and hopefully not as blur as you! XD
Darren’s sister should be can cook really well. First impression of him: Cheerful guy. Don’t mind sharing good things, and always biased against BKS food. Lunch without him is really a quiet affair. Jy Darren~!
Thank you to all ILS lab stuff who took care of me, including Miss Chin (I have never addressed her like that in the full 2.5 months), others and esp. Tuck Weng. :D Cheers guys!

Carrying these memories of the fun I had, the great people I met, moments to be treasured...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wash the base away, put back the glasses. Farewell, ILS :)

=========================================================

*Update*



I got this on the 1st day I wasn't at ILS. Not sure if I was really too noisy... =/

*Finally finish the post!*
*Added the love message and pictures*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review NTU SPMS - MAS

Course Review NTU SPMS - Electives

NTU MAS or NUS stats?