DSO Info divison tKF trip

The jellyfish is back! Here is a short memory about the visit to the DSO techKNOWfair. Quite a memorable and insightful trip, and of course SH accompanied me to go, wahaha. No pictures taken though, since the information may be sensitive. =P

The link below introduces some of the divisions in DSO. We went for the Information divisions fair. :)

https://www.dso.org.sg/divisions.aspx

----------------------------------------------

27th May 2015, Wednesday, 1450hrs.

Unlike the other boring industrial park, Science Park looks quite decent! Plants everywhere (and nicely decorated) even with the presence with a large number of buildings. DSO welcomes the visitors with an open carpark, and a normal looking fountain at the middle of the open area.

--

The inside looks like a really busy place, and sure it is! Staff everywhere preparing for the fair, people coming in and out with business related matters, while me and SH are standing there keeping calm and looking busy. Not for long though! Shortly after, a lady asked if we were attending the fair and asked us to sign our attendance. SH signed her one easily, got a name tag, and that was when I realised they missed out my name. -_- This is when the lady said to a random guy: "This is the Jefferson la... You forgot to put him in the list!"

Wah basket, that means effectively I did not register! O_O The lady kept on apologizing, which of course I didn't mind. DIY name tag, how customized. :)

--

1510hrs: The briefing begins!

Sitting in the room, waiting for other people to arrive. SH guessed that there were a hundred people turning up, while I thought there were going to be 40. Seems like the total number of participants is at a halfway point, with students from polytechnics and universities. After everybody has settled down, a staff introduced to everyone about his division, some things about DSO, etc... I was stoning a bit, and so was SH.

*I think the both of us like cryptography because that's the only thing we understood in Y1S1! I will do some justice in Y3S1 when I take the proper crypto mod, wahaha! =D*

Somewhere in the briefing, I heard that maintaining the soldiers' conditions is very important, I wonder if War will agree to that.

--

1530hrs: Visiting booths WITH a group :)

This is when the actual booth visiting begins! So feeling a bit lost, me and SH just tagged along a random uni group. Shan't go into much details here, since the information may be really sensitive, but here are a few interesting things we saw. :)

- Army vehicle turns and avoiding trees. o.o
- Simulations of troops actions are possible, er in a rather anyhow way.
- A special board tells you the location of a unit, after calibration! Damn cool!
- Remote vehicles can reverse! Complicated algorithms are needed!
- If the object is too fast, just let it go. Let it Go~

The projects seem to be circling about SAF, effectiveness of soldiers and mathematical optimization of military operations. Suddenly that sounds like the stuff taught in PS8001. I think students should go on these field trips instead of being stuck in the LT. =P

I sort of stayed back a little and asked about the reversing algorithm. It is not possible for a pivot(?) turn, I am guessing it has something to do with the rotational force needed... That algorithm is designed by a senior staff, and honestly I think it's decent! In school, the flowcharts for a program can be complicated, but it does not serve a real purpose. In DSO, things become real! Nice! :)


1600hrs: Visiting booths WITHOUT a group!

Ah, asking that question about the reverse algorithm seperates me and SH from the rest of the group. So for the next half, we just walked around randomly to the other booths, and those turned out to be interesting! =D

-> RSA: The exhibition which I liked most! Apparently hexdecimals are commonly used! This came as a slight surprise, since the MH8300 mods just touched about small dec numbers with no practice in hexdecimal. Maybe the numbers are too small to be even considered? There is also such thing as a pair(?) gcd, which is more of finding patterns and different mod numbers within encrypted messages. That sounds a bit complicated, and is rather incomplete. Good luck to the team who is handling that! :)

-> AES: I think SH enjoyed this exhibition more than I did! Doesn't look easy, and the person mentioned that non-square matrices will cause an even bigger problem! If this comes out in the crypto mod, I will study carefully! The person seems to be quite enthusiastic about her project. =D

Read smth about AES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard


-> A very quiet booth showcases a program that needs 2 years to build, and that system is actually used in phones! That must be a booth for computer sci / engine students, cos me and SH have totally no clue on what he said, even though he tried his best to tell us more about what he is doing. I think we heard the point that the building is expensive, and that maintaining the program looks like JAVA/C++ but in reality it is not.

We gave a blank look, but still thanked him for his effort! SH actually thought I understood when I was like "yeah ok" at the guy. I think I sort of read and understood the code a little, but definitely not the motivation behind that exhibit! Reminds me of that time when I went to the Global studies intro lecture with War and WL. Only WL is like "yeah I think I got what you are saying", but in reality he may be sleeping in the head. wahaha. XD


Image result for psyduck sleeping with eyes open

Psyduck sleeping with eyes open

--

1620hrs: A rest at the atrium

So that sorts of wrap up the exhibitions. The lady whom we saw earlier asked us to fill in the survey form, and kept on promoting Internship positions at DSO. She also gave us a drink (oh how sweet), and asked where were we from. Seems like studying Math is a good course to get into a job at the DSO informations division (yay!). I shall be motivated to study hard!

Ok la, that's what I said every semester, but seems like I slack a bit here and there...

After a short while, a guy sat at the sofa beside the lady, and the lady introduced him to be the director of the Information Division. Well! That seemed to be a good opportunity for most curious people to sort of socialize, and shun bian get some chances in working / intern... Me and SH just got lost for words. I think the director expected us to ask something, and yeah, our silence sort of disappointed him (a bit). Damn pai seh sia! I swear if I go for such atas fairs in future, I will get some intelligent questions ready! >.<

The lady recommended internships for at least a period of 2 months so as to learn something. I guess I will apply for an intern at DSO informations division, it seems interesting, useful and it's something which I may be able to apply knowledge learnt in school. :) The minimum CGPA is 3.5 [Currently 4.74 after Y2S2], which I think I will meet by the term Y3S1 results are out. It may also be time for me to read up some computer non-programming stuff!

--

1740hrs: Goodbye DSO

And that concludes the insightful DSO trip! Before leaving, we saw that the fountain has a lot of brain poles packed compactly, and thus it is named a 'brainforest'. Hmm... Creative?

----------------------

Post-note: The lady who talked to us is Miss Chia Huan Chern, and is apparently the HR executive! Wow! I am inspired to get an intern or maybe work at DSO in future! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review NTU SPMS - MAS

Course Review NTU SPMS - Electives

NTU MAS or NUS stats?